Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Mommy Diaries pg. 84

This story caught my eye and my heart yesterday morning as I was reading through this book. Katelyn's big thing these days is "Mommy, I need a hug!" I feel that those close precious moments continue to establish a bond of love, safety and trust between us as her parents and her as a beautiful child with a lively learning heart. These quiet moments some times come when I'm tired and grumpy, and it re-aligns my heart to what is important in life, and what should come first.

A Two-Way Street
by Laura Broadwater

My youngest son and I were on our way home from running errands one day when he suddenly leaned over and placed his head against my shoulder. I glanced down at him. He seemed to be doing this a lot lately, and it worried me. This behavior was unusual for him. Having an older brother who thought being the oldest came with the inherent rights of "boss and bully," my youngest usually expended much energy acting tough and standing his ground. But we were alone, and I figured that maybe he thought it was safe to let down his guard. Still, careful not to make him feel like a baby, I playfully asked, "What ya doing?"

"Getting."

Curious about such an odd response, I asked, "What are you getting?"

"Love," he replied.

"Oh," I smiled, nodding my head. And for the rest of the ride home, he remained in that position.

The next time we were out driving and he did it, I casually asked, "Are you needing some love?" His answer surprised me.

"No, Mom, I'm giving it."

Shocked, I drove on in silence, pondering the wisdom of his words -- and the simple fact that I might need love too. I was so used to giving love to those around me who were in need of it that I'd never thought about receiving it myself. Not even from God.

This practice continued on between us for years. After a while, though, I stopped asking whether he was "getting" or "giving." The mere action itself served as a reminder of the need for balance in my life when it came to the giving and receiving of love.

With much regret, the day finally came when we had to abandon this practice. He just got to big (even when scrunched down) to lean his head on my shoulder. Still, regardless of how tall or grown up he gets, I won't forget the lesson he taught me while out driving down those country roads: loving someone is meant to be a two-way street.



"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!" he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you." A. A. Milne

1 comment: