Monday, May 2, 2011

Thankful For Freedom

This morning after hearing the news from the President Obama about Osama being dead I sit in reflection and thankfulness. I'm so thankful to live in a country who still lives under the heading of "One Nation Under God." I'm thankful that although our nation doesn't always live like that we were still founded on a foundation of God and His Word. I'm thankful for all of the men, woman, and yes children who have sacrificed so that the rest of us might live in freedom. I say children, because children have sacrificed their mommy's and daddy's to the fight for our freedom. In some cases sacrificed even to the extent of losing the ones they hold most dear in life.

I'm thankful to just be born into a nation where they respect your rights. I'm thankful that I'm not imprisoned for worshipping openly. I understand that Christian rights aren't always respected equally with others beliefs, but I'm thankful that I'm not dragged out of my house in the middle of the night and have to watch as my children are murdered and dismembered and my husband tortured because we worship God. I'm thankful my children have the opportunities to education, medical care, and clean water. I'm thankful that my children aren't subjected to swollen belly's and parasites because they are starving. I'm thankful that I was born in the US instead of places like the Congo where rape is a weapon of war and most women have been ravaged.

I'm thankful. Thankful for being born a US citizen. I'm not sure if that was random or God ordained. I'm just thankful. Sometimes I sit and wonder though if I had been born into a country roughed with poverty, violence and limited freedom would my faith be stronger. Would I have more opportunities to be stripped of self and distractions and be able to see God more clearly. What really is a blessing and what is a curse.

Today though I sit and am thankful for the freedom I have been given. Thankful for so many peoples sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment